Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Cross-training revisited

Cross-training is something I have done consistently since I started running 19 months ago.

Always 3 days a week. Always. Until my ill-fated 18 mile run back in November. After that I went into "recovery mode". All I could think about was running and how I couldn't do as much of it as I'd like. AND, I stopped doing everything else.

I completely forgot about cross-training.

Well, last night I started back with it again. I pulled out one of my old DVDs, Sexy Arms with Dave Sinclair. Admittedly, Sinclair is kind of a big doofus; routinely interjecting phrases such as "Right On!" into the workout. But, the workout is sound and easy to follow. After I completed it, I felt pretty good.

And, I slept well. Better than I have in a long time.

Cross-training is now back as a part of my regular routine.

Maybe tomorrow I'll pull out one of my Neena & Veena DVDs.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Speaking of incorporating exotic workout elements, I have a video by Hemalayaa called "Bollywood Burn." It's short -- three 15-minute workouts -- but it looks like fun. You've inspired me to consider actually doing it.

Lindarx said...

You should!

The Neena & Veena DVD I have is "BellyDance: Fitness for Beginners
Arms, Abs, Hips, Buns & Thighs".

I find that I concentrate so much on getting the moves down, that I am (almost) unaware of the actual workout.

It is certainly more fun than just cranking out the crunches (uugghh).

Jesse said...

I also think this is an excellent exercise. I can watch it for hours!
Isn't it time to work out again?