Saturday, November 8, 2008

Pushing the Pace ...

...hurts!!!!

It really does. This morning's run was proof of that. We were running just 8 miles this morning. I was running with the pace group I am supposed to be in. Our long distance pace should be between 14 - 15 min/mile. This is a training pace designed to keep us injury and exhaustion free.

This morning's numbers were like this:
Mile .................... Time
1 ........................13:03
2 ........................13:07
3 ........................12:55
4 ........................13:37
5 ........................13:29
6 ........................13:19
7 ........................13:22
8 ........................13:11

All those miles were run too fast! And now, I am hurting - right ITB, right hamstrings, right piriformis muscle.

But, what is worse than the injuries is that I am feeling tired and annoyed. Usually after a run, any run, I feel emotionally satisfied. Not today. Today I feel drained.

Next Saturday is 18 miles. I am not looking forward to it with this group.

4 comments:

Just Thinking said...

That is ridiculously fast. In addition to risking injury, you are racing, and these are supposed to be training runs. Their main purpose is to train your body to efficiently use the appropriate energy system, NOT to develop speed.

I would move to a slower group where their is better pace discipline or you will be hard pressed to make it to the starting line, and if you do, you will have left your best miles on the training path.

Ken

Lindarx said...

I agree. I cannot maintain this pace in training. 18 miles at this pace would do me in!

Next week I will back down to a slower, yet better run, group.

Jesse said...

My untrained opinion tells me your group leader is making a mistake.
I admire your common sense.

Lindarx said...

Thanks, Jesse! Common sense runs in my family, as you know.
:-)