Monday, September 1, 2008

Things that slow me down ...

One of the things I really don't need in my training is something beyond my control slowing me down.

In the middle of August, it was an upper respiratory infection. I had NO energy at all. I still attempted to get my mileage in with varying degrees of success.

Just as I was recovering, Tropical Storm Fay hit town and flooded everything. Trees and power lines were down. Streets were flooded. There were even reports of alligators and snakes in the flooded streets. My group run was cancelled, as was a race I had signed up for. I did make it out for a run on Saturday, August 23. It was pouring down rain and gusty winds. I made it 7.33 miles before giving up.

And now, I am having and ITB flare-up. I ran through it (7 miles) with my group on Saturday; and 5 miles this morning. It was excruciating.

I have learned that running is cyclical. Some days (weeks?) are just hard; others are wonderfully easy. I know that right now I am in a tough cycle. I just have to wait it out and keep running.

No comments: