Monday, March 8, 2010

2010 Disney Princess Half Marathon Weekend


On Friday, March 5, Tj and I met up at Panera’s in Jax at 6:45 AM to grab some coffee then head down to Disney.  Our plan was to avoid as much Orlando traffic as possible and get to the Expo when it opened at 10.  We made great time, and arrived at the Expo at about 9:40.

It was sunny in Orlando, but COLD and windy.  And, there was a HUGE line already waiting to get into the Expo.  After getting inside, we went to pick up our race packets and shirts.  There were 5 Corrals (A - E).  This year, I was put into Corral C based on my last year’s time.  That was fine with me.  I hadn’t run much since the Donna, and wasn’t sure if I could match my half PR from December to justify a move into Corral B.  Tj was assigned to Corral B.  Next, we went to shirt pick-up.  The shirts were huge and blue!!!  First of all, Princess shirts NEED to be pink!  Secondly, last year the shirts were all too small; so, we had all ordered up a size this year.  Then Disney went up a size from that.  I didn’t want to go through the shirt exchange hassle since I wasn’t planning to race in the shirt anyway.  So, I kept the gigantic shirt to use later as a top layering piece. 

With the required stuff out of the way, we went shopping at the Expo!  We got some wonderful Rider after-run sandals and a few other things.  At the official Disney store we found a couple of really nice tech shirts (pink, of course) to wear for the race.  And, a Disney Princess half Marathon wineglass to add to my collection. 

Then it was time for me to go to the Orlando airport to pick up my friend, Renee.  Renee is one of my best friends from HS; and, a runner.  Last May, I had talked her into running this half marathon with me.  Renee is fast; but, had never run anything longer than a 10K.  So, she started training and building up mileage over the Summer.  In November, she hired a Personal Trainer to plan out long runs for her.  Even though she doubted her ability to finish the half, Renee was ready.  On her longest training run, she had completed 12 miles in 1:45.

After picking up Renee, we returned to the Expo.  Renee had been assigned to Corral E!!!  That was the Walker’s Corral!  She could not change her corral because she did not have an official race time to submit.  So, she devised a plan to start as close to the front of her corral as possible, and just keep moving forward. 

We left the Expo and checked into our Hotel - the Disney AllStar Movies - Love Bug area.  We got to the room, and noted an immediate problem ... NO COFFEE MAKER!!!  Renee was not having that!  This is a woman who needs her pre-run coffee!  Back to the Front Desk to request coffee before the race.  We had to leave the hotel via shuttle before 4AM on race morning.  That’s when shuttle service to the race would be stopped.  How would we score any pre-race coffee?  The Front Desk was clueless and no help in the coffee situation.

Disney's AllStar Movies Resort - Love Bug Area

Moving on, we met up with Tj and her friend, Rosemary, for dinner at Fulton’s Crab House.  Excellent company, meal and wine!

Tj, Renee, Me, and Rosemary at Fulton's Crab House


We slept in on Saturday.  Then, decided to go back to the Expo for a little while.  The Expo was a zoo!!!  It was incredibly crowded.  I picked up a 13.1 magnet for Renee’s car.  I didn’t tell her about it, of course.  I didn’t want to jinx her!

We arrived at Downtown Disney around 2PM, and did some more shopping for friends and family.  The only thing we needed to accomplish on Saturday was meeting up with several other running Princesses for dinner at Wolfgang Puck’s at 5PM.  We had to eat this early due to the un-Godly hour we would have to get up on Sunday morning for the race.

We arrived at WP a little before 5, and met up with Jenna, Joanne, Brenda, Patti and her husband.  Soon after, Tj and Rosemary arrived.  Libby joined us for a little while once we were inside.  We all had a nice dinner and conversation; then headed off to our hotels for bed.

Me, Jenna, Joanne, Libby, Patti, Brenda, Tj, and Rosemary at Wolfgang Puck's




After a sleepless night, the alarm went off at 2AM.  Insane hour to be getting up!  But, get up we did.  At 2:30, Renee headed over to the Food Court of the hotel to heat up coffee from the night before.  Amazingly, there was fresh coffee available in the Food Court!  YAY!  The only problem now was the temperature.  It was 41 degrees out with a wind chill of 37.  Too cold.

I had a throw-away zip-up hoodie that I put on over my regular running clothes.  Renee devised running pants out of black garbage bags.  Hilarious!

We got on the shuttle bus at 3:20 and headed over to the race.  It was sooooo cold outside.  We had to go through bag check by 5, then on to our corrals.  We HAD to be lined up in corrals by 5:30.  We all stood around freezing together until the start of the race.  FINALLY, the National Anthem was sung.  Corral A started at 6AM with fireworks exploding.  Then, we were all held in place until 6:07 when Corral B was allowed to start.  More fireworks, and Corral C (mine) moved to the Start Line.  At 6:14, we were sent off with fireworks.  Ditto for Corrals D (at 6:21) and E (at 6:28).  Tj was not feeling well that morning and dropped back to run with Rosemary who had been assigned to Corral D.


Fireworks at the START!!!
What a difference 2 weeks makes!!!  Two weeks ago, I had been running the 26.2 with Donna and had felt so bad that I was ready to quit running altogether.  But, this morning, I felt good.  Cold, but good.  Before I even realized it, I was crossing the 5K timing mats.  As I did, I noticed Renee crossing the 5K mats also.  She was flying!!!

At mile 4, I felt warm enough to toss my hoodie.  The sun was just coming up.   The air temp had not really warmed up, and my feet were still cold and numb.  Somewhere between miles 4 and 5, was Captain Jack Sparrow - a Johnny Depp look-alike!  I HAD to stop and get my picture taken with him!  :)

Then, into the Magic Kingdom!  It was great running up Main Street towards Cinderella’s Castle!  After that, we turned right and ran into Tomorrow Land - made a loop through there and headed back into Fantasy Land.  We passed the Carousel, ran into the Castle, and out the front side.  This is one of many places where things got tight and narrow running-wise.

We ran into Adventure Land, then past Splash Mountain, and out of the Park.  After that, it was all highway back to Epcot.  By now, the sun was up and strong.  Fortunately, the air was still cool because there was no shade.  By mile 8, several Princesses were wearing out.  I was still feeling good and happy to be running!

Mile 10.5 brought us to the on ramp of an overpass.  Many people were walking.  A Toy Story soldier was yelling orders to all the walking Princesses to “Keep running, Soldier!  There’s no walking here!!!”.  Too funny.  I ran up the on-ramp towards the Mile 11 Marker at the top of the bridge.  At the top of the bridge, I looked at the road where I had just been.  There were thousands of runners still coming behind me!  What a sight that was!
From there, it was mostly downhill and on into Epcot and DONE!!!

I checked my Garmin at the end, and had a distance of 13.35 miles.  I know I did some lateral running that morning.  I just didn’t realize how much.
I met up with Renee afterwards; and, we waited for Tj and Rosemary to come in.  Renee had totally rocked it with a time of 1:55:59!!!  Me?  I did OK with a time of 2:56:42.  Not a PR; but, it was a course PR for me; and, a good run.  And, a really really good weekend.





Me, Rosemary, Tj, and Renee after the race.


2 comments:

Jenna said...

Congrats Linda! Good to hear you had a much better race.

Lindarx said...

Thanks, Jenna! This one was fun!